Naughty or Nice Christmas Foods?

It’s that time of year again where we all tend to over-indulge a little bit on all the festive treats on offer, with all the Christmas parties and food that is available. It’s also nice to include our pets in the festivities, but just in case you weren’t sure, there are some foods that are definitely not suitable. At Larkmead, we have put together a ‘naughty or nice’ checklist, so you can check it (and check it twice) to be sure you know what’s naughty or nice (have you got that song stuck in your head now?):

 The ‘Nice Foods’ list:

Christmas day lunch – turkey. Your dog can enjoy a small amount of boneless, skinless white meat this Christmas.

Their usual diet- something they are used to and won’t upset their stomach will make them feel good this Christmas and won’t leave you worrying about what they’ve eaten!

Vegetables – most green or mixed veg is fine for dogs. Mashed carrot and swede with your Christmas dinner dogs love, but avoid corn on the cob and bulb vegetables such as onions, garlic and leeks which are toxic to dogs.

Dog specific treats – if you want to spoil your dog, give them the occasional dog specific treat!

Walks – definitely not a food but there is no better treat for your dog than to spend time with the family and go on a long Christmas day walk!

The ‘Naughty Foods’ list:

Mince pies and Christmas cake – currants, raisins and even grapes can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, kidney problems and uncoordinated movement.

Chocolate – along with coffee, can affect the central nervous system. Dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate although all are best avoided!

Stuffing – onions and garlic can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and damage to red blood cells.

Meat bones – it is best to not give your dog any meat or fish on the bone. Small bone splinters can damage their digestive tract and their mouth.

Nuts can cause vomiting, an increased body temperature, weakness, tremors and depression if dogs eat them

 A lot of sweets contain Xylitol, a sugar substitute that is extremely toxic to dogs. 

Remember, if you’re going to treat your pet this Christmas, treat them responsibly!