Easter Dangers

Easter and springtime are only around the corner; with these come associated dangers for our animals that we as owners need to be aware of.

Chocolate – Easter eggs:

Chocolate contains a stimulant substance called theobromine which is toxic to dogs. Theobromine causes affects the heart, nervous system and kidneys.
Chocolate toxicity can cause vomiting which can include blood, diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity. Also rapid breathing, tense muscles and incoordination, twitching, increased heart rate and seizures.
The degree of toxicity caused varies very much on the amount consumed. It is important to call your vets if your dog eats chocolate so that they can ascertain whether they have ingested a toxic dose.
Treatment depends on the degree of toxicity, most of the time we just need to make the dog vomit up the chocolate and give treatment to limit absorption of the theobromine.

Flowers/bulbs:

Daffodils – daffodils contain a substance called lycorine which causes vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain due to tissue irritation on ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower.
Cyclamen – cyclamen contain a substance called saponins, especially in the roots, which when chewed or ingested by dogs or cats will cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Easter Lilies – Lilies are incredibly toxic to cats. Any part of a lily is toxic to a cat if ingested; also the pollen is toxic if they brush against them. Lilies cause severe acute kidney failure in cats, so immediate veterinary attention is vital if you think your cat might have ingested lilies. Signs of lily toxicity include lethargy, not eating, drooling, vomiting and depression. As a cat owner it is important not to have lilies in your house or garden to avoid toxicity.
Hyacinths and Tulips – toxic substances called alkaloids are concentrated in hyacinth and tulip bulbs, and when ingested can cause irritation to the mouth and oesophagus. Signs include drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Bluebells – all parts of the bluebell plant are toxic – they cause abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and disruptions in the rhythm of the heart.

Raisins – Simnel cake & Hot Cross Buns:

Any foods containing grapes, currents, sultanas or raisins are toxic to dogs. It is important to seek veterinary treatment if your dog eats anything containing these ingredients. Toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, bloody stools, reduced appetite, weakness, lethargy and acute kidney failure.
Treatment usually involves making the dog vomit as soon as possible after ingestion and treatment to avoid toxic absorption.

Xylitol – sweet treats:

Xylitol is a sugar free sweetener that can be found in many foodstuffs – including chewing gum, nicotine replacement gum, sweets, toothpaste, supplements and some peanut butters.
Xylitol is poisonous to dogs it causes low blood glucose which can lead to vomiting, high heart rate, wobbliness, trembling, seizures, coma or death. Liver damage has also been seen with ingestion of xylitol.
If your dog eats any food that you are concerned contains xylitol, contact your vet immediately so that the dog can be made to vomit to reduce risk of toxicity and so that they can be thoroughly examined.

Slug pellets (metaldehydes):

Metaldehyde based slug pellets can cause severe poisoning in dogs. If you suspect that your dog may have eaten slug pellets it is vital that you seek immediate veterinary attention. Signs of metaldehyde poisoning include incoordination, muscle spasms, twitching, tremors and convulsions.

Unwanted kittens:

As the spring days start to get longer and the weather warms up female cats will be stimulated to start coming into season, to avoid unwanted litters it is recommended to get your female cat spayed.

Contact our reception to enquire about booking your queen in to be spayed. 

 

Would you like to find out more about the dangers to your pets?

Then sign up for a LIVE WEBINAR presented by Nurses, Zoe and Hannah.

Click here to join