It's World Mental Health Day - October 10th, 2015
In honour of World Mental Health day, we thought it would be a good time to reflect on all the mental health benefits having pets in our lives brings. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Pets help with depression – they bring a sense of routine and, if you own a dog, exercise. Two very important tools for alleviating the effects of depression
- Pets have a calming effect – think about how much you enjoy stroking or playing with your pet!
- Socialising – walking your dog means you get out, get exercise and very often end up having conversations with other dog owners. Those who tend of to have positive, healthy social relationships tend to be mentally healthier
- Pets are great companions – they become our best friends and companions in life, helping to combat loneliness, which is another trigger of depression
- Pets often bring families together – their fun-loving nature and potential to provide funny or cute moments often bring families together to share in the moment.
Have you experienced or witnessed how a pet has had a positive impact on yours or a loved one’s mental health?