Larkmead Vets: Privacy Notice
Larkmead Vets is an independently owned veterinary practice that provides animal healthcare services to pet owners and agricultural businesses. Larkmead Vets is the data controller (DC), and will collate the following personal data:
- First and last names
- Contact telephone numbers
- Email address
We require this personal data in order to create a ‘client’ record. This information is collected either via our website or by our receptionist team when an individual first makes contact with the practice. The data is entered onto our practice management system (PMS). This software and associated data is stored securely on IT hardware owned by the DC. Any animals that Larkmead Vets provide treatment for, by law, need to have a clinical record. These clinical records are a sub-record of the client’s and are searchable on our PMS. Clinical data and the associated personal data must be stored for a minimum of 7 years.
We can only provide a professional service to those who provide us with the aforementioned personal data. We need this information in order to provide comprehensive veterinary care, and without the information volunteered at the outset we could only provide basic first aid to any sick or injured animals.
We will use personal data for the following purposes:
1. Registration as a client of Larkmead Vets, including generation of animal clinical records
2. Maintenance and collection of clinical records from previously used veterinary practices
3. Dispensing pharmaceutical prescriptions – all labels will include client name and address as specified by law
4. Invoicing for goods and services, as per our terms and conditions
5. Subscription to our bespoke member schemes and clubs which may include a direct debit mandate that entitles the client to specific services and stock items
We can use personal data for the following purposes if a client has opted-in to provide consent:
1. Appointment reminders, sent prior to the appointment.
2. Annual health check and vaccination reminders, which are sent in advance and then after the due date to prompt clients whom have not managed to complete their animal’s health check.
3. Animal treatment reminders which are sent at the time an animal is due a dose of a medication it has been prescribed, most commonly this will include preventative flea treatments.
4. Newsletters will be sent on a recurring basis and highlight developments of the practice and the services we offer, but will be appropriate to the client type, e.g. pet or farm animal owner.
5. Promotional material will be sent infrequently and will be targeted to ensure it is relevant to the client and their animal.
Our communication with clients will be via SMS, email and post. The client can control their preferred methods of contact easily at home via a web portal, or in the practice verbally with a reception team member.
We will only provide your personal information to other data controllers that are contracted to comply with the latest data protection regulations. This transfer of information will only be carried out in order to provide veterinary care necessary for your animal, this may include:
- External laboratories for blood and biopsy tests
- Other vets if you are using a different veterinary practice
- Referral vets if you have taken your animal to a specialist centre
- Microchip database for registration
We will not pass personal information to any agencies or organisations for use other than what we have stipulated prior to carrying out the activity that is associated with your animal’s care. You will only receive marketing related communication from us if you have opted to receive this information. You may opt out at any time using the links provided.
We retain personal information for as long as necessary to be able to provide you with veterinary care and to be able to forward the clinical records to other veterinary practices upon legitimate request.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal data, and where there is no legal necessity nor impact on animal welfare, upon request we will erase your personal data from our PMS.
6th August 2018