Alpacas and llamas are becoming increasingly popular in the UK both as pets and producer of high quality fibre. Larkmead Vets has considerable experience with these species.
At Larkmead Vets, we provide outstanding veterinary services to a number of well established, high quality alpaca and llama farms, as well as pet owners. Many of the problems we see are a result of common, often preventable disorders.
We can offer veterinary expertise on:
- General husbandry
- Routine preventative medications including vaccinations
- Parasite control including worm control strategies and ectoparasitic advice (e.g. mange cases)
- Reproduction and breeding
- Care of the new born and growing cria
- Sick or injured animals
Factsheets are available on many of these subject areas.
Throughout the year we run a variety of training sessions for camelid owners and breeders, which have included topics such as basic handling, general healthcare, feeding and nutrition, reproduction and pregnancy, care of the newborn cria, parasite management, body condition scoring and signs to look out for in a sick animal.
We commonly perform procedures such as:
- Training to handle your animals
- Training on injection technique
- Body Condition Score training
- Export certification
- Tuberculosis testing
- Plasma transfusions for sick cria
- Blood collection for plasma storage
- Blood transfusions to treat sick animals
- Faecal worm egg counts
- Pregnancy diagnosis scanning
- Health certification for sales
- Fracture repair
- Tooth root abscess debridement
If you would like to learn more about our services, then please call our large animal office on 01491 651479.